Skip To Main Content

Special Education

Special Education in the Elma School District

Special Education provides services to students with certain disabilities that are specified in state and federal laws. Services are free of charge to the parent. Anybody may refer a student for an evaluation to determine if the student qualifies for services. The referral needs to be in writing and should be directed to the student’s principal or school counselor. If you suspect that your child has a disability and might require special education services and your child is not currently enrolled you may direct the referral to the Elma School District Special Services office.

Eligibility for special education services requires that an evaluation be conducted. The result of the evaluation needs to show that the child has a disability as defined in Chapter 392-172 of the Washington Administrative Code AND that this disability impacts the child's progress and participation in their general education classroom. If the child is a preschooler, the disability would need to cause the child to fall behind in activities that children without a disability are able to do.

Services that eligible students receive address their individual needs. These services are outlined in an Individual Educational Plan (IEP) that school staff and parents jointly develop. The district offers a continuum of services and placement options in order to address unique individual needs.

There is a multitude of legal rules and regulations that determine what happens in special education. They are outlined in WAC 392-172A and are written in legal language. Please feel free to contact one of us at the Elma Special Services office or the school counselor at your child’s school. Another source of help for interpretation of these rules is an organization called PAVE at 1-800-5-PARENT. Further information may also be obtained from the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI).

Child Find Notice

Elma School District is committed to addressing the unique needs of students with disabilities ages birth through 21 residing within the boundaries of the Elma School District. This includes children with disabilities enrolled in private, including religious schools, as well as children who are homeless. Additionally, if your family is living in a temporary situation, you may contact the district where you are staying to attend a screening. Disabilities can be in any one of several areas that ultimately affect a child’s learning, such as the ability to think, to express oneself, to see or hear clearly, to get around, or understand instructions given. If you have a child who you think might have a disability requiring special education instruction or significant accommodations at school, or if you know of such a child birth to 21, please feel free to call the Elma School District, Special Services office at (360) 482-1123.

Transition Services and Post High School Information Links

  2. DSHS/Division of Vocational Rehabilitation
  3. Elma SD Resource Booklet for Transition Services
  4. Young Adults Change to Work Transition Video

Notice of Procedural Safeguards

OSPI - Notice of SPED Procedural Safeguards for Students and Their Families


The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords parents and students over 18 years of age (eligible students) certain rights with respect to the student's education records.